Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Weary and Wary

Monday Mixups are a celebration of the confusion surrounding homophones, homonyms, and other commonly switched words.

I feel like I hear this one more often than the average English-speaking American because of where I live. The accents in Virginia and North Carolina tend to make weary and wary sound more similar than they ought to, but you can still usually tell which one the speaker was actually saying.

Wary means vigilant, watchful, or cautious.

Weary means exhausted or fatigued, or sometimes impatient or dissatisfied. It can also be used as a verb.



So while I am wary of the lion in the kitchen, I am weary after fighting it all day. I am also weary of hearing your excuses for not helping me fight the kitchen-lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment