Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

NaPoWriMo: Day 23

Early in the month, I wrote an English sonnet (with the rhyme scheme ABAB ABAB CDCD EFEF GG). Now, I'm going to try an Italian sonnet (with the rhyme scheme ABBA ABBA CDC CDC or ABBA ABBA CDE CDE).

Remember: An Italian sonnet starts with an octave (two quatrains) describing a problem, followed by a sestet (two tercets) that solves the problem. (The first line of the sestet is the turn, which identifies the switch from problem-describing to problem-solving.)

(Can anyone tell that noise in the library has become a problem recently?)

---

Too many people are being loud.
They're whispering and talking
On phones without even balking
Like it's something of which to be proud.

I tried to tell them it's not allowed
But still they continue their squawking,
Even as toward the door they're walking.
With great lung power they're all endowed.

I must find a way to stop the speaking!
I'll stem the unceasing, unending supply
Of voices that sound like chalkboard fingernail scrape.

A solution that would stop me from shrieking:
Run down to the hardware store and buy
Their biggest, stickiest roll of duct tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment